Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lesson learned

Saturday I finished my very first rag quilt. I started it months ago but only recently had the motivation to complete the job. Despite the to-be-expected imperfections, I was quite proud of my accomplishment! Knowing that the red would likely bleed a bit into the lighter fabric, I made sure to set the washer on cold/cold before tossing it in. However I was devastated to find, when the wash cycle had finished, that my once red and white blanket was now red and pink! Apparently I overlooked Step 1: pre-wash the fabric!

before

after... sigh


In my defense, the 'after' photos look especially bad because the flash was on. I'm sure in natural lighting they wouldn't look quite as horrible. Still, you can definitely see the pink!

So my original intention in writing this post was to say, "Hey, look what I did!" My intention now, however, is to simply ask for help! Is there any hope? Can I salvage this blanket? I was planning to give it to our soon-to-be nephew, but in its current condition, I don't even think I'd be willing to donate it to Goodwill! Neil's aunt suggested Dye Grabber, a terry cloth like fabric that is supposed to absorb dye, ultimately preventing colors from fading into each other. Naturally you're supposed to use it during the first wash cycle, but I am still going to give it a shot. I am hoping after a few more washes the red fades a bit. It's just frustrating knowing I so easily could have prevented all of this by one simple step. Oh well. Lesson learned.

signautre

10 comments:

Wendy said...

Well I still think it looks great despite the color bleeding. You could always keep it for Chloe or baby to play with if you're too embarrassed to give it away. I hope you find a way to fix it, though. Keep us updated.

Rachel said...

Oh I'm so sorry. It is so painful when things like that happen. It looks like you did a great job though; I agree with the above comment that it would be great to keep in your own family. Your children will love it no matter what.

Rebekah said...

I think it looks great! If you want to try OXYCLEAN the next time you wash it, it might work. Otherwise I'd agree with the 2 previous posts.

You did do a FABULOUS job on it!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey, you DID do a fabulous job! I'm VERY proud of you! I agree with the above three comments. It really does look great, and I honestly don't think I'd even really notice much or think about the pinkish background - truly. You are the only one who knows what it looked like originally. The little cars look darling, and that's what you look at - not the background. I know you made it to give away, but it would be a fun treasure to keep - a treasure with a story - and your very first one. Now that you've made this one, a second one would be easier - and you could give that one away. On the other hand, I can see why you don't want to sit right down and make another quilt right now.

I know you'll know what to do - and meanwhile, you should be very happy with yourself. I've been asking around and will continue to. As you know, I'm not exactly the queen of quilts. (I make good chilies rejenos though :).

Love love love you,
Mama

Natalie said...

Sorry I have no suggestions on what to do, but way to go on making the quilt! It looks awesome! I have always wanted to make a quilt, but I just don't know if I would ever finish it.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the quilt! Way better than I could do, I don't even know how to turn on a sewing machine... So I have no advise on how to fix the color. If anything you can keep it & who knows maybe that little baby will be a boy:)

stephschmidt said...

Wow - I am so impressed! I love it! Pink or white, I think it looks great! But I have done things like that before, and I know how frustrating it is. I hope the Dye Grabber works!

Cristi said...

FOr a second I thought you said Niel suggested the dye grabber and I was like no way! :) It still looks cute!

Nells-Bells said...

First of all, I'm just impressed you made this! Definitely something I have never even tried or attempted. I hope you can figure out how to fix it. I think it still looks cute!

Camille said...

You could just tell people that I washed it -- most of my kids' socks and underwear are either pink or light blue. :)