Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Wow, it's been a while since I shared a recipe. After receiving grief from a certain friend, I've decided to post a family favorite. It's nothing new. In fact I've been making it for over a year now, but it never gets old around here. I must give credit to Manya, who originally shared this with me.

An added bonus to this recipe is you actually get two separate meals out of it. The first night: rotisserie chicken; the second night: chicken noodle soup, or really anything else you could think of to do with tender yummy left over chicken!
Roast Sticky Chicken - Rotisserie Style

Ingredients:
  • 4 t. salt
  • 2 t. paprika
  • 1 t. onion powder
  • 1 t. thyme
  • 1 t. white pepper
  • 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 t. black pepper
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 2 onions, quartered
  • 2 - 4lb. whole chickens
  • butter (optional)
  • 2 large oven bags

My own additions:

  • 4 medium potatoes, chopped into large chunks
  • 4 large carrots, sliced

Instructions:
In a small bowl combine spices. Remove and discard giblets from each chicken, rinse, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with butter (if desired), followed by spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in oven bags. Divide the potatoes and carrots among the two oven bags, and place into a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 90 minutes. Once you've removed the chickens from the oven, let stand for 10 minutes. I generally serve this with a fruit or green salad and rolls.

*If you're running low on time, you can always prepare the chickens the night before and let them sit in the fridge. If anything the flavors probably intensify this way.

I keep the juices from the chicken for my chicken noodle soup, which I generally make the following day. I don't really follow any recipe for my soup, but here's basically what I do:

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

  • left over rotisserie chicken, shredded
  • left over juices from chicken (this is what makes it so good)
  • 4 large carrots, sliced, then halved
  • 1 small onion, cut into chunks
  • fresh parsley, chopped
  • approximately 6 cups water (I use stock if I have it on hand)
  • approximately 6 chicken bouillons
  • the following spices to taste: thyme, oregano, garlic salt, rotisserie chicken seasoning, salt and pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • a few handfuls of egg noodles (approximately 1 1/2 cups)

Instructions:
Throw everything but the noodles into the crock pot, set on low heat and forget about it. After 6-8 hours, add egg noodles and allow to heat an additional 15 minutes. Easy!!

signautre

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

it's making my mouth water!!! Thanks for sharing!

Jodi said...

These look great! I copied both! :)

Barry and Shannon said...

looks yummy. i'll have to give it a try!

Jill Halliday said...

Sounds/looks delicious. Your picture is gorgeous. Reminds me of Gma Butterfield who had her own special chicken noodle soup recipe. Bet she'd love this too.

Love love love,
Mama

Mamamanya said...

Yum, yum....I need to make those chickens again! Thanks for the reminder :) By the way, which sling did you go with?

Mamamanya said...

Yum, yum....I need to make those chickens again! Thanks for the reminder :) By the way, which sling did you go with?

Mamamanya said...

Yum, yum....I need to make those chickens again! Thanks for the reminder :) By the way, which sling did you go with?

Becca said...

yummy! I can't wait to make this.

Wendy said...

That looks really good and is making me hungry. I'll have to try it!