Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Recipe of the Week

Similar concept to traditional shepard's pie, but MUCH better! I found this in Fall's edition of Kraft 'Food & Family' magazine. You can also find the recipe here. It's received an average of 4.5 stars. It's simple and basic, but really yummy. Give it a try!

Tater-Topped Casserole

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. (1/2 of 32-oz. pkg.) frozen bite-size seasoned potato nuggets

Instructions:
Heat oven to 375. Brown meat with onions in skillet, stirring occasionally; drain. Spoon into 8-inch square baking dish.
Mix soup and milk; pour over meat mixture. Top with layers of mixed vegetables, cheese and potatoes.
Bake 45 min. or until potatoes are golden brown and casserole is heated through.

*My own two cents: I seasoned the hamburger meat with seasoned salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Definitely enhanced the flavor! Next time I think I'll sprinkle some cheese on top of the tater tots before throwing the casserole into the oven.
signautre

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful, and does sound yummy. Your photo is prettier than the one on the Kraft page :). I just wrote down the recipe and will get the ingredients we don't already have when we take Gma shopping today. I love what a wonderful cook you are. (Love everything else about you too :).

Love love love,
Mama

Rebekah said...

This is one of our favorites!! Yummy!!!!

stephschmidt said...

Oooh, nice and easy - my kinda cookin! :)

Kyla said...

Valeri, I love your blog. I've just started one for us. I love this recipe too. I miss you.

Nells-Bells said...

Looks like a casserole Napoleon Dynamite could sink his teeth in to. We will definitely have to try it out! Looks amazing.

The Barton Family said...

You've never made that before!?!?! I thought that was a "Mormon Staple"! :)

Camille said...

I can be soooo proud of myself because I have actually MADE this recipe (except we call it "green bean casserole" because we use just green beans instead of mixed vegetables, but the rest is the same). Am I a cook or what?!?