Pages

Friday, October 10, 2008

Recipe of the Week

Another reason I love Fall? Comfort food that somehow tastes better when it's cold out. In addition to having that homey taste, this week's recipe holds sentimental value. It's my sweet grandmother's and she's been making it since I can remember. Several months ago I convinced her to share the recipe with me, and have now made it twice, including last weekend when Chloe and I had a tummy bug. Healthy, simple (other than lots of chopping) and delicious! Perfect for the fall season!

Grandma Martha's Leek Soup

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups leeks (about 2 large leeks), chopped
  • 2 cups celery (about 4 stalks), chopped
  • 5 carrots, sliced, then quartered
  • 3 large potatoes, chopped
  • 1 bunch parsley, stems clipped and finely chopped
  • 1 cube butter
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 5 quarts water
  • up to 10 beef bouillons
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions:

Melt butter in stock pot. Add quick oats and sauté until golden brown. Add leeks and sauté a minute longer, followed by celery, carrots and potatoes. Gradually add water, 1 quart at a time. Stir, and start adding beef bouillons, up to 10 (start with 6 and continue adding more and testing until the flavor is where you want it - I always end up using 10). Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on medium low heat for 2+ hours. The longer it simmers the better. Also works great in a crock pot. About 30 minutes before serving, add parsley.


Tips from the chef:

  • If you have a food chopper, I'd highly recommend it.
  • Goes great with french bread and salad.
  • This makes a HUGE batch - you can half it or freeze part of it. I am planning to make another batch to freeze for when baby comes.
signautre

5 comments:

Stef said...

I'll add my 2 cents and say YUMMY!! Thanks for the recipe Val!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Honey....I'm so glad you put this on here! The photo is beautiful - it's homey too. Gosh, looking at it makes me feel like I'm right there (wish Dad and I both really were :). We're all so blessed to have Gma Martha - she just gave us some of her homemade pumpkin pie. Her gifts are endless! Your putting this here is a great gift to her.

It was sweet to talk to you and Chloebug a few hours ago. Good luck to Neil with the basement today :).

Love you all...
Mama/Gma Jill

stephschmidt said...

Don't you love comfort food? My mom gave me Grandma Butterfield's recipe for chicken noodle soup a long time ago - I love family recipes :)

brittanyc said...

Last night I tried your taquito recipe. They were so delicious!!!! We had friends over and everybody ate lots, which is how I always judge whether something was a hit or not. I love your recipes. Keep posting them!!
Britt

dayna said...

yay! thanks for sharing! i don't care if matt doesn't like soup...this will become a regular during the cold months for us. LOVE YOU!