Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's official...WE ARE CRAZY!!

Last Sunday as Neil and I were discussing how we could make the most of our upcoming Memorial Day weekend, we quickly came to the conclusion that painting the exterior of our house was the best option (yes, we are crazy). Since the day we moved in we've H-A-T-E-D the color. Okay, I've hated the color, and Neil has agreed that it's ugly. Only one other house in the entire neighborhood is the same color scheme, if that gives you any idea of how awful it is. Unfortunately other house projects have taken priority up to this point. But this weekend (finally) seemed like the best time to tackle this one, and here's why:

  • We are almost ready to landscape the backyard - yay! (just have to install sprinklers), and we figure it's much smarter to paint now rather than after we've laid sod and planted bushes and flowers right up against the house.

  • We have a paint sprayer (yet another amazing Craigslist find)! We actually bought it for the sake of painting the basement, but made very good use of it yesterday and will once again crank it up tomorrow! What a HUGE difference it has already made for us!

  • I have re-gained my energy, am not awkwardly large (yet) and can still maintain my balance. Don't worry, Mom, I haven't gotten too high up on the ladders.

  • The weather is perfect - warm, but not HOT! My only wish is that the wind calms down a bit tomorrow!
We got our colors approved through HOA last week, and I picked up paint Friday. That same afternoon Neil pressure washed the house. Then all of Saturday we were outside painting away (thank you, Molly and LeAnne for helping out with Chloe). We made more progress than we'd planned to, and hope to be finished with the main color by noon tomorrow (have I mentioned how handy a paint sprayer can come in?). All that will be left then is the front door, shutters and trim. Yes, we are crazy! But any of you who know Neil really can't be that surprised by this undertaking. He's fearless when it comes to projects.

Speaking of Neil, here he is in action yesterday! More pictures to come...

On a side note, if any of you are around tomorrow and want to drop by with some fresh lemonade, we'll gladly welcome it (clear of throat... STELENE!, WHO LIVES RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET)! Only kidding, unless you really are feeling charitable! :)
signautre

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow that really is a BIG project you are taking on! I can't tell what color your house was before, is it brown or red? I hope that you will have some before and after pictures to post soon! Good luck finishing it tomorrow.

Valeri said...

It's a reddish brown with what I think the builders intended to be cream trim, but what actually turned out to be a light light pink trim (no joke). It's hideous! There will definitely be before and after pictures. Don't worry.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comforting statement that you're not getting up too high on the ladder. Yikes! Can't you do your part solely from the ground??? This is one time I'm glad I can't look and see :). Happy for you though....it really looks wonderful. I love the light color. Neil looks happy up there on the ladder. Fun to have a husband who thrives on projects and is so talented. Good luck with the rest of it and now I'll be a mom and say to both of you: B E C A R E F U L....... Praying for all of you.....

Love love love,
Mama/Gma Jill

So that trim was PINK?

Anonymous said...

I just noticed today that you are working on a big project. Way to go! My kiddo's have been sick, it all started last Thursday when Gharrett got a 102.8 fever, then Kaidon on Friday & yesterday Brynlee. So I haven't even been out of the house or I would have brought you Lemonade. It looks like the paint sprayer is working nicely, you guys are doing a great job!

Camille said...

Painting? That's almost as crazy as cooking!!!

Wendy said...

I'm excited to see all the before and after pictures. Hope the weather's been nice today so you can finish it. It's rained here pretty much all day today. Good thing you have Neil to do most of it - take it easy!

brittanyc said...

What a HUGE job!!! I can't imagine what it would be like to have a husband who actually enjoyed (and did) huge at-home projects. That is NOT Chris AT ALL! Be sure you send those before and afters!
Britt

Nells-Bells said...

I can't wait to see more pictures! I bet it's nice to get it done and really feel good about your home. ;)