Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Preschool

Some friends recently started a co-op preschool and invited me to join. We pitched in on a curriculum, and are taking turns team teaching. Anna and I kicked things off, teaching both last week and this week. We survived, and so did the kids (ha ha). Today was trying, but I think it's because they had become too comfortable with my house and each other. Good thing they'll be at Angie's next week! Here are some pictures highlighting the first week.

Photobucket
Ready to go, back pack and all!


Photobucket
Zoey, Ben, Aly, Tyler, Abby, Chloe, Cassidy and Annelise (yes, you counted right. That's 8 kids!)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Exploring the world of goop (cornstarch, water and green food coloring that is)

Photobucket
Coloring...

Photobucket
And more coloring...


Last week's theme was 'Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss'. We celebrated with several of his books and activities that corresponded, decorating and enjoying cupcakes, exploring solids and liquids, coloring and snacking. This week's theme was 'You Are What You Eat'. We talked about the food groups and planted grass seeds in styrofoam cups. Monday we made pretzels, and today we taste tested countless fruits and veggies, then finished the morning with homemade peach ice cream. My kitchen was sticky and disgusting but it was so worth it. My ice cream maker will definitely NOT be gathering dust again for a while.

One thing Anna and I quickly learned was the power of food and music! Anytime "snack" was mentioned or one of us started singing, those little ears perked right up! Funny how that works.

Chloe has struggled a lot, particularly this week. To begin with, she's a {precious} little snot who thinks she has the authority to boss anyone around at any time. That combined with the new experience of preschool alone, not to mention the fact that it's (so far) taken place in her home, which has required her to share her toys and mom with seven other 3 year olds, has made for a challenging beginning (wow, that was a long sentence). And I'm sure the added excitement of Grandma Jill's visit last week didn't help anything. I am hoping that the changes of next week turn a new page. I keep reminding myself that Chloe's strong will will someday serve her well. And while I absolutely believe that to be true, it doesn't make this stage any easier.

Despite the challenges we faced, I know Chloe has enjoyed herself overall. When she thinks I'm not listening, I can hear her softly singing the songs we've learned, and she wears her 'One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish' crown almost everywhere. I am optimistically curious to see how the next several weeks go.
signautre

9 comments:

Nells-Bells said...

how fun! definitely would be exhausting but look at those kids! they are what make it worth it, right?

love the new car too. ka-chow!

stephschmidt said...

How fun to do preschool! Such cute pictures of Chloe; I especially love the first one :) I admire you, busy woman! And congrats on your new car! New things are so fun :)

Btw, I have a Canon PowerShot G10, and I LOVE it. So easy to use; I would absolutely recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Aww......what darling little preschoolers - and you and Anna did such a great job. I'm so grateful I could be there for one of the sessions. It's so good for the kids - they'll remember this always. So will you. The pictures are wonderful!

Love love love,
Mama/Gma Jill

Anonymous said...

How fun! 8 kiddoes..more power to ya girl! I wish I was there to join in...I am sure Chloe will do great at other peoples houses. Addie always does so much better for other people.

Bre said...

You're brave.

The Barton Family said...

Wow! You are brave to take on 8 pre schoolers with a new baby!! Good luck!

Jodi said...

Chloe is so cute! Great pictures. I love the crown. I'll bet all those kids had a great time! What great ideas you had! I'm impressed!

Wendy said...

Glad to hear it went well and that Chloe had a fun time!

Camille said...

Wow, 8 three year olds! We only do 6 kids in our preschool and they're all 4 except for the one we added when Breanna moved away. She's 3 and a handful... :) Good luck! do you like having a partner? I like that I get to do it myself, but I guess I'm too much of a control freak. I don't like sharing. Am I related to Chloe? :)