Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Flashback Friday

Today's Flashback Friday honors two special people and two special occasions.

First, my Grandpa Butterfield, who would have celebrated his 95th birthday today. He entered this world and left it on Friday, the 13th, and my mom is convinced that was no coincidence! She's probably right considering he was quite the jokester and loved the number 13.

The second special occasion, which would have been celebrated Monday, the 9th (also a special day for Neil and me, as noted in my previous post), was my grandparent's 70th wedding anniversary! Amazing. Don't they make a beautiful couple?

Photobucket

I have heard so many stories about these two; what strong, loving, and enduring individuals they were, and how their spirits touched the lives of so many. I'm sad I didn't have a chance know them better, but I do have a handful of very fond memories which I'll hold dear to my heart forever.
signautre

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Honey....tears fill my eyes as I look at this beautiful post of these beautiful parents on this beautiful Friday the 13th. The number 13 could never be unlucky for me. I've always loved it, because your Grandpa Butterfield loved it. So well I remember that Wednesday the 11th of July, 2001 when he was so sick and so close to the other side. All of his children were there and we realized in two more days it would be Friday the 13th. We felt the twinkle in his eye and somehow just knew that he would go on that day - and he did. I'm sure Heavenly Father gave him that gift. What a wonderful grandpa you had (and have), and Grandma was always such a perfect part of him. These pictures are perfect too! I'm sure they're both smiling widely at your sweet remembrance of them on this special day. I know I am. Thank you so very much. It's wonderful.

Love love love,
Mama/Gma Jill
(Your post came in at 2:09 a.m. - Grandma's favorite number, as you know, was nine. But that's another story :).

Anonymous said...

What a super cute couple. David totally has your grandpa's face.

stephschmidt said...

I love this; how beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen that picture of them by the tree; I love it! And Mika's right; when I look at that middle picture of Grandpa I see so much of David!

Wendy said...

I've been thinking about them both a lot lately so this was a pleasant surprise. What a beautiful tribute! I'm so glad you had all these photos. I wanted to post one of their wedding photos on my anniversary post but I didn't have any. Just looking at all these photos makes me realize just how much I miss them.

Anonymous said...

It truly is a beautiful tribute to two wonderful people! I'm sure we have all been thinking about them a lot this week, and it's nice to see these wonderful pictures!! Thanks for posting them!

Love,
Carolyn

Camille said...

What a beautiful post and wonderful collage of photos. They really are a great looking couple, aren't they? I especially love that photo of Grandma in the lower right. That is how I remember Grandma. That's how she looks in my memories of her.

Pat said...

I will always just love this and it was wonderful to revisit it again today! Even though I never commented on it here when I first saw it on Grandpa's birthday, I did comment on it on Facebook that day. Beautiful job of putting the collage together, and wonderful choice of pictures! It looks like they are looking right into my eyes as I look at both of them! How did we ever get so lucky to have them as parents/grandparents?!