Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Best chocolate cake ever

I discovered this recipe several months ago on a friend's blog. The picture alone sold me, and I don't even think 4 hours passed before I was in my kitchen baking away. It didn't help that I was pregnant at the time, and especially vulnerable to baked goods. I've never been much of a chocoholic, but this cake just may have been my first step to conversion! I don't even try to come up with excuses to make it anymore. Luckily, no one else seems to have a problem with that. :)

You can find a descriptive, witty and quite entertaining step by step version of the recipe here (in addition to lots of pretty, and mouth-watering pictures). Or just follow the instructions below. I have been meaning to post this since September, but just never got around to it until tonight. I do hope you'll forgive my withholding of such blessed information.

By the way, if you don't like this cake, I am disowning you as my friend.

Just kidding.

Maybe.

Pioneer Woman Chocolate Sheet Cake

Combine in a mixing bowl: 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

In a saucepan, melt 2 sticks butter.
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa. Stir together. Add 1 cup boiling water. Allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.

In measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup buttermilk. Add 2 beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.

While cake is baking, make icing:
Chop 1/2 cup pecans finely (if desired - I have always done it without). Melt 1 3/4 sticks butter in a saucepan. Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat.


Add: 6 tablespoons milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 lb minus 1/2 cup powdered sugar (if I remember right it's about 4 cups, but just use your own judgement - you'll know when you have the right consistency). Stir together. Add pecans (if desired), stir together, and pour over warm cake.

And finally, in the words of the Pioneer Woman herself:

"Cut into squares, eat, and totally wig out over the fact that you’ve just made the best chocolate sheet cake. Ever."







Couldn't have said it better myself!

signautre

3 comments:

Jodi said...

There's not too many PW recipes I'm not willing to try! I just haven't gotten around to making this one, but you bet, in time I will! :)

The Barton Family said...

I am so going to try this!

Nells-Bells said...

this is THE best chocolate cake ever! i love that you love it too. i was just telling my bro-in-law, last night, that they need to make this. i think i'm going to make this today... ;)