Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Rainbows

Last week marked a significant event in my life. It was an event I would never want to endure again, but one which offered great lessons of understanding, hope and gratitude. Even before I had a chance to feel afraid or hopeless, God was there. He offered me the comfort I needed. He gave me the strength I didn't have. And most importantly, He helped me to recognize the rainbows that still existed, even among the darkest clouds. I am grateful for the rainbows in my life and I'd like to share some of them with you (in no particular order).

Gordon B. Hinckley, beloved father, grandfather, husband, friend and leader of our church. He left this earth ten days ago at the age of ninety seven, to reunite with his Marjorie in Heaven. What a sweet little man he was! What a twinkle in his eye he had! And what an example of unconditional love, strength, hard work, compassion, courage, persistence, and faith he set for the rest of us. His legacy will live on forever, and I am grateful to have been alive during his days of leadership and counsel.

Ballet, an art of movement I have passionately loved and appreciated all the days of my life. My mom recorded a PBS Ballet Production for me when I was four or five and I vividly remember taking it to kindergarten on Show and Tell day. I'm sure Mrs. Lion found this to be an odd choice, but didn't hesitate to pop the tape in for the whole class to see! When my hard work paid off and I earned my first pair of pointe shoes (at age thirteen) I was on top of the world. Ballet was my outlet for many years, offering relief and filling voids during difficult times. To this day I regret letting this talent go, however my passion for it will never die, and in the next life I'll be dancing my heart out!
My Mom. This woman is an angel in a human's body; the epitome of love; the most genuine, kind, affectionate, compassionate, cheerful, spiritual, selfless, non-judgmental woman I've ever known. And she's my mother! From the most devastating moments in my life to the most joyful, she has been there. When it seems there is no reason to smile, she finds one. She has set an incredible example of Christ-like love and service, of what it is to be a wife and mother, and of what it is to be a friend. With each passing day I am still learning something new from this incredible woman I call "Mama". She is one of my best friends.

Sushi. It seems you either love it or you hate it. Quite honestly I don't know how someone could put the words hate and sushi in the same sentence, but who am I to judge? After all, I hate peanut butter and dark chocolate! I always look forward to sushi dates with my brother (and sometimes my dad too), even though they're few and far between.


Speaking of brother! David, my one and only sibling is another rainbow in my life. Though we see each other so seldom, it's always like old times. He makes me laugh hysterically. He is talented beyond words. And even in the midst of a crazy jazz musician lifestyle, he still manages to call his little sis every so often just because. We are eight years apart, which I believe has only made us closer. We talk about anything and everything. He is respectful, disciplined, sentimental, thoughtful and dang funny! I love this man and am so lucky to call him my big brother.

Elizabeth Bennet, lovely heroine from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. My dad and I read this novel together when I was thirteen, and to this day I haven't read a more enjoyable or meaningful work of art. Endearing, assertive, confident, spirited, strong-minded, and witty are just a few adjectives to describe this amazing heroine! What touches me the most about Lizzy is her ability to follow her heart, despite the judgments and pressures of society. She is a shining example of perseverance, and her character has offered me great encouragement over the years.

My Dad, a man of warmth and wisdom. He has always made me feel like a little queen, his one and only "babe". He always encouraged me to strive for my two greatest desires in life: to be a wife and mother, and has continued to encourage and support me through my years of living those dreams. He has this way of shedding light on a situation that at one time seemed hopeless. He has the ability to put my thoughts into words when I just can't seem to express them myself. And his hugs are like nothing else, often holding greater power than any words of wisdom could. His vast knowledge of literature, film, music and religion has drawn hundreds to him. He is generous, loving and wonderful.

Newborn babies. Any of you who know me know how much I love babies (and have always loved babies), especially teensy tiny babies. I was nicknamed "Ward Auntie" a few years back after constantly being spotted with someone else's baby in church. Even as a child I was fascinated with these sweet little creatures, and always looked forward to having one of my own someday. Their silky soft skin, scrawny little legs, perfect baby scent, and cute little sounds just melt my heart. The first few weeks of Chloe's life I hardly put her down. I just wanted to cherish every possible moment before she outgrew that stage. We all know it happens fast!

My husband. Where do I begin with this amazing fella? I have learned so much in the six years I've known Neil. He has been a great example of logical thinking, of not bringing the occasional frustrations of work home, of radiating that smile even when he isn't feeling up to it. He is confident, optimistic, cheerful and easy to get along with. He doesn't care what others think, nor does he compare himself to others or make decisions based on the opinions of others. He is hard-working and will go until the job gets done. He is practical, which every relationship needs! He can read me like a book and often knows what's best for me when I can't figure it out myself. He is a good provider and a worthy Priesthood holder. His romantic acts are meaningful, and I never have to wonder if I'm loved. He keeps Chloe giggling and teaches her random yet useful things, using brilliant techniques I would have never thought of. On top of everything else, my husband is a looker! I love knowing he's mine for eternity. Thank you Chevys for introducing us!

Motherhood, a role I've strived for since I can remember. Such an amazing gift from God. You cannot compare the bond between a mother and child to anything! Motherhood offers so many rainbows in itself! It is the most difficult job (at least for me), but also the most fulfilling and joyful, and something I wouldn't trade for the universe.

Family and Friends, near and far! It is such a blessing to be able to count on my loved ones to offer support and relief in times of need. Every day I count my blessings for you, my family and friends!
Music.
“Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.”
- Anonymous
I could not live without music. It has been a constant aid in my life.



My daughter. Chloe has been my biggest rainbow this last week. Because of her I can call myself a mother. She brings indescribable joy to my soul, and has since the day I found out she was coming! Her personality continues to blossom, and despite the snotty attitude she's starting to develop (gotta love those terrible twos), her thoughtful side continues to shine through as well. She can sense when something is not right, when someone is feeling sad or needs a hug. And if she feels it is necessary, she'll walk right over to you and while patting your back say, "You okay?" When no one else can bring a smile to my face, this girl can! She is the light in my life, my rainbow.

My Savior is my constant rainbow, and I've especially felt His presence these last several days. He has caused me to run into certain people I now know I was meant to talk with, prompted others to reach out to me in various ways, placed books and articles I needed to read right into my hands, and in other ways kept me uplifted and hopeful. I am grateful for His example, for the promises and blessings He provided us with, and ultimately for the opportunity I have to pray to and learn of Him each and every day.

We all have rainbows in our lives! Some days the clouds may seem heavier and the rainbows more distant, but they are always there. And they will get you through anything if you let them.

signautre

13 comments:

dayna said...

such a beautiful post. i love the photos. did you know i did ballet to point shoes, too? hard to imagine, i know:)
love you!

Melissa said...

Wow, make me cry! I've been thinking of you this past week, I'm glad you are seeing the rainbows.

Anonymous said...

Well, if I can blink enough times to see through the tears I'll be able to write this. You continue to amaze me - you really do. I know of your strength, poetry, sweetness, humor, so many talents, and yet so often I am astonished at something you write, at the composition of a new post, at your insightfulness. This is one of those times. To say this is beautiful is such an understatement. So what do I say? Thank you.....thank you so much.....just for being you - such an expansive and brilliantly colorful rainbow in all our lives. And remember, there couldn't be a rainbow without some sunbeams.

Love love love,
Mama

Becca said...

That was really beautiful! Thank you for the reminder of all the things in life we have to be grateful for.

Stef said...

Your Mama is right! I have only known you for 1 month and already you've been a brilliant rainbow in my life. Thank you for that, I really needed one! And know it or not, you're truly an answer to my prayers for friendship. Love you too!

Lawrence Clan said...

Dayna said it perfectly, it is such a beautiful post. I am glad I have been your visiting teacher & gotten to know you & miss Chloe better, she is such a cutie.

Email me your email address & I will send you the invite for my family's blog. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Just in case you don't have my email it's tkjs2@msn.com, sorry I forgot to add that to my last comment. Have a great day!

Twinkies said...

That was awesome val. It's hard not to have your heart burst with gratitude while reading that. But you did forget to put in one thing about your mom. She is my iron rod when it comes to faith. I've never met anyone else to have as much faith as your mom does. What a great example she is. I'm also so very grateful you met neil. He's a great guy!

The Tait Family said...

Valeri,
Thanks for this great post. You did such a nice job putting it all together. What a great tribute to the people you love and who love you.

I don't know what you have gone through last week but I hope you will continue to feel the peace and love that comes only through our Savior.

Here's to better days to come with lots and lots of rainbows to make you smile!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said...tear, tear! I'm always here for ya...love ya bunches

paulak said...

what an amazing post. Insightfull, and a reminder of what the true blessings in life are. Thank you for sharing. I love you already, and I am sure I will love you forever. Thank you for being a friend to the stranger.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful--simply beautiful! Everything about it from the photos to the layout to your wonderful way of expressing yourself and paying tribute to the people and things you love! You truly have a gift for this! You are wonderful and I love you!

Natalie said...

Wow, thanks for your post. You have made me think of everything that I am grateful for. I love all of you pictures too. You are so sweet. I'm not sure what hard things you went through but I hope that this week is much better for you!