Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Gratitude Day 2

Today I am grateful for:

1) The ability to think creatively.  Now if only that spark didn't wait until the day before a birthday party to kick in, I'd be in a better frame of mind right now, and probably in bed sleeping.  It's like writing a church talk or preparing a lesson.  I never get my inspiration until 24 hours (or less) prior to the deadline.  Thank goodness I can take a nap after Ryan's birthday festivities tomorrow.

2) General Conference, and the ability to watch and listen from the comfort of my home whenever I please.  We weren't able to see all four sessions live last month, but as I've found moments of quiet, I have enjoyed the convenience of catching up on talks here and there by the click of a button.  Tonight, as I filled goody bags for tomorrow's birthday guests, Dieter F. Uchtdorf serenaded my living room.  Last year, the night before Chloe's sixth birthday party, I did the same thing, and ended up listening to more than half of Conference from the month prior.  What a blessing to have this wonderful material and wisdom right at my finger tips, any time and for whatever purpose I need it.

3) My girl friends.  This evening, Misty and Lorilee drove through Sacramento on their way to Chico where they are doing a color run tomorrow morning.  They stopped and grabbed me for dinner, and it was great - just what we all needed.  When I got home I told Neil how I missed having really good friends close by. I have made a few here, and one in particular is extra special, but nothing can be compared to the connections I made in Ripon.  As much as I don't like being farther away from those friends now, I am grateful that we are close enough that we still make the effort to stay in touch.

4) Alone time with Chloe.  After school today, Neil was home and so I snuck off to do some birthday shopping for Ryan's party.  I really wanted to go alone, I'm not gonna lie.  But Chloe BEGGED me to let her come.  So I did.  And it was perfect.  She was such a delight, and we had some good quality girl time.  During our drive home, she said, "Mom, Adam and Eve were lucky."  When I asked why, she said, "Because they got to heaven first and got to spend a lot more time with Jesus than we will."  It sometimes amazes how she can think through something so complex.

Ryan, 4 weeks old
5) Photos.  Well, duh!  Of course I'm grateful for photos.  But it isn't just the photos themselves, it's the precious memories attached to them.  Today I spent a little time perusing older pictures of Ryan to display at his birthday party tomorrow.  It struck me, as I sat there smiling at his sweetness, the power of a photo.  Isn't it amazing how a single glance at one you haven't seen in three, six or eighteen years can instantly take you right back to the day it was taken?  I love that.
signautre

No comments: