Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A bite of heaven

Some of our best friends, Brett and Leslie, are moving to Indiana at the end of this week, and last night we attended a going away party in their honor. I was asked to bring a dessert, and since my plans of making Tuxedo Brownie Cups for Neil on Valentine's Day fell through, I decided this would be the perfect opportunity to rekindle our marriage. I suceeded.

I've made these several times, but for some reason the first batch of brownies didn't cooperate (genius me forgot to follow the high altitude directions), and because this put me an hour and a half off schedule, my afternoon plans of lunch and a movie with Stefani got thrown off. She ended up helping me make these, and though it got a little crazy, we had a lot of fun and I appreciated her company and help.

After finishing these lovely little bites of heaven, we sat down and watched, It Happened One Night, a 1934 screwball comedy, starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. It is rare that I meet someone of my generation who holds the same appreciation and love for old movies, so this was especially refreshing for me. If there's anyone else out there who loves the good old black and whites, make yourself known! We'll start a club!

Okay, okay. So onto the important thing here. I've teased you with pictures. The least I can do is share the recipe! I want you to know this is a huge sacrifice for me, but one I'm willing to make just for you!

Tuxedo Brownie Cups
By Pampered Chef

Ingredients:
1 (21 oz.) package fudge brownie mix (plus ingredients to make cake like brownies)
6oz. white chocolate chips
2 T. milk
1 (8oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 (8oz.) container cool whip
sliced strawberries

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325. Prepare brownie mix according to directions. Follow high altitude directions if applicable. Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick spray; fill each cup 2/3 full. Bake approximately 15 minutes (or until the edges are set). Remove and immediately press tops of brownies (I use
Pampered Chef's mini tart shaper, but any other tool that can make indentations will do). The recipe says to allow cups to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then gently remove, but I have better luck removing them almost immediately - you decide what works best for you.

Melt white chocolate with milk on stove; cool slightly. Transfer mixture to bowl; add powdered sugar and cream cheese; mix with electric hand mixer until sooth; fold in cool whip. Fill cups with white chocolate mixture - you can use a cake decorator kit or just spoon in doll ups, which is much easier! Slice strawberries and place one slice in each brownie cup.

As a finishing touch, sprinkle powdered sugar or cocoa over the cups. Makes about 55.


Well, they were a hit. Chloe especially loved them, though you wouldn't know it by the unenthusiastic expression!


Thanks again for your help, Stefani. And to Brett, Leslie, Evan, Sydney, and Baby Megan, happy trails! Chloe will especially miss her pal, Syd.

signautre

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - wonderful post! And I got to see Stefani - she's a doll. Cute picture! Yum....I'd love to have one little "bite of heaven" right about now - or two or three or four......:). I'm thrilled Stef liked watching "It Happened One Night" too - nothing like those old classics! Chloebug looks pretty in her new blue blouse.

Love you all!
Mama/Gma

Amy said...

Okay, so two things, The roberts had another kiddo? Tell them congrats from us! And....what do you use for all of the mini muffins? Do you use a mini muffin pan by pampered chef as well? I haven't found one that has more than 9 muffin slots.....

And...Who is Steffi? So I guess three things. :)
Luv yer guts!

Valeri said...

Amy,

Leslie's baby doesn't come until May, but they've already named her Megan. I will still relay your message.

I bought my mini muffin tins at Bed Bath & Beyond almost six years ago. The brand is Wilton and each tin makes a dozen (I have two tins, and it makes a world of difference with this recipe). If you don't already have the mini-tart shaper, buy it. It's only $3.75, and well worth it.

Stefani is a friend of mine from the ward.

There. Does that answer all your questions? :)

Stef said...

Hey girlie! Nice post! I especially love the corny picture of you and me...eeek! Why didn't you tell me I was having a bad hair day!? Thanks for all the recipes! I am adding the Oriental Chicken Salad recipe to our blog, it's delish so make sure to check it out!
I'll have to borrow the movie sometime so that Dan can watch it too. Next time I'll find a classic you haven't seen yet!

paulak said...

Yummy, those look good. Thanks for the recipe, I might have to try them sometime when I am really motivated to bake...doesn't happen often. As for the black and white movies...I do love a great movie, no matter what period or media...but I would love to get together with some great friends, anytime.

Anonymous said...

Those look AMAZING!! I will have to get brave and try to make them...Brian had already gone a few years ago and I didn't want both of us to go at the same time cause if something went wrong I wanted Addie to have aleast one parent...but all is well and I am alive!!

Becca said...

YUM!!! Thanks for sharing, they look amazing. BTW, I do love a old black and white films as well. Can I be in the club?